Get The Best Knee Pain Treatment In Athlone and Moate
Knee pain is something that I see a lot and have had much success in restoring and getting people back to the things they love to do.
I see a lot of people who have suffered with pain for over 6 months. When I ask them why they have waited so long before doing anything about it, I hear a lot of the same answers.
- I just thought it would get better by itself.
- I went to the doctor and got some painkillers that eased the pain, but once I stopped taking them it came back.
- I was using a knee support and I was told it would “fix it”, but it was temporary relief
- My mum and aunt has knee pain so I thought it just runs in the family
- I googled exercises to help relieve it and was trying them for a while.
- You tried acupuncture and massage and thought they would fix it, but it still came back.
So if you have tried any of these methods before then please know that you are not alone. The good news is that you are eager and looking to find a solution and I find the best results when working with these people.
If you are confused about your knee pain and would like to talk to a physical therapist then click below.Click here to talk to me on the phone first
Here are some of the questions that I frequently get asked by patients about knee pain
Do I Need To Get An MRI Scan On My Knee First?
No You don’t. By assessing and testing your movements and muscle forces, I can get a very good idea of what is going on with your knee and what needs to be done to get it better. MRI scans are only really necessary in traumatic injuries or when knees are not responding well to treatment. They do not always correlate with the pain you are feeling so it is important to not always rely on a scan.
Even if a scan does show up worn cartilage or damaged ligaments this does not mean you have to go down the surgery route. There are many people who function very well with worn cartilage or torn ligaments. Physical therapy can make a big change with these people and can help positively influence knees by improving movement and muscle function
I Have Osteoarthritis. Can You Do Anything To Help Me With This?
Yes I can. It is important to note that I cannot change the degenerative changes that have occured in the joint with OA but I can change and improve the way your body loads your knee which can make a huge difference to the pain levels people experience and how they move.
Often when people have OA in their knee they loose some of the timing and activation of the tissues around the knee and this can lead to your knee not loading properly and pain been caused. If the co ordination and muscle contractions of the knee is improved this can have a big difference on knee pain in people with OA.
Why Is My Knee Pain Starting To Affect Other Parts Of My Body?
What I tend to see is patients who come to see me when their knee pain starts to affect other parts of their body, such as the ‘other’ knee starts to hurt or their back gets ‘achy’.. You see, there is an in-built mechanism in us designed to take pressure away from areas when our brain thinks there is a problem, and this is usually when other areas can then become affected.
It is an ‘ok’ strategy short term but long term these areas of the body can then get grumpy from doing extra work unbeknownst to you. Some simple hands on treatment and finding your bespoke stressors to your body, can quickly and easily relieve you of your knee pain and keep your other knee, back or ankle nice and happy for years to come.
Why Is My Knee Sore? I Don’t Recall Ever Hurting It.
This is quite common and is where the investigation starts. Often I have to trace their knee pain back to an old ankle injury or a pain in the back of the hip that was ignored for a while. The knee can often then be the innocent joint who takes the brunt of it and gets overloaded, causing the sensation of pain.
When I see a patient I look to find out why the knee is getting irritated and getting sore. Then I treat the cause with some hands on treatment and some specific exercises and loading to restore the tissues and get the knee functioning properly again. By addressing the true cause of the problem this means that the patient can go away confident that their knee pain will not return.
Do you have any questions that I did not answer.
If you still unsure if Physical Therapy is the right option for you then why not come in for a Free Discovery Session. Here I will be able to see what is causing you knee pain and what needs to be done to put it right.
Download My Free Guide So You Start Easing Your Knee Pain Today
Inside the guide you’ll learn tips like
- What your knee pain does and DOES NOT mean
- What you can do to to help your knee
- Why your knee is fine some days and then aches the next day
- What muscles may be the cause of your knee pain
- How to ensure that your knee pain does not return
Here Is Who I Can Help
While I don’t claim to be able to help everyone there are a large percentage of the population whom I can help. If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the following below then you are one of these people.
- If you’ve recently noticed a dull, “tooth pain” like ache in your knee that has been there for longer than 9 days and shows no signs of improving on its own
- You’re experiencing severe pain or swelling during, or not long after taking a simple walk with friends (Note : For your own good, please seek advice ASAP)
- You’ve been told or have a sneaky suspicion that what you have is caused by Arthritis, joint wear and tear or degeneration
- You’re struggling to walk or run for any significant length of time without feeling the effects of knee pain, a dull ache or swelling
- You don’t fancy the “painkillers and rest” option advised by the GP, nor do you like the generic exercises so often given out by the NHS Physios
- You value the enjoyment you get from your health too highly to risk suffering any long term complications, and so you want to seek the best advice possible, straight away
- You are hoping to AVOID knee surgery for as long as possible
- You’ve no idea what’s happened or why and you’re just concerned, maybe even worried, that it isn’t going to go away any time soon, and you’d just really like to know EXACTLY what has happened, and how long it will likely take to solve, and what REALLY can be done to sort it.
…Great news – if you said say “YES” to any of those, then I am going to be able to help you like you hope.